Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Sacrifice

Every year at retreat we receive a word to study during the upcoming year. In October, my word was: Sacrifice

-an act of offering something precious to God or a god; especially: the killing of a victim on an altar
- something offered in sacrifice
- a giving up of something especially for the sake of someone else;
- loss of profit

In May last year, I visited my parents and was concerned with their health. In July, Don and I visited my parents and sensed, with some urgency, that we needed to be 10 minutes away from them and not 10 hours. We decided to move - a huge step for us as I was not eligible to retire from my federal job yet and would need a transfer. Don would quit his job and we would sell our house. Huge steps of faith. Day at a time.

We placed our home on the market. We decided to move Don first so that he could get settled. Little did we know that the week we moved Don, my dad would have major surgery for cancer. Don has spent the last 5 months with mom and dad, helping them around the house, while job hunting. We thought we were moving Don for us - God had other plans.

I've been in Phoenix, home alone with the cats, waiting for the house to sell and applying for federal job transfers. (stay tuned for another blog - and God's amazing provision).

What's the sacrifice?

Look at the third reason. At retreat, I had just returned from leaving Don in CO. And I receive the word "Sacrifice" - pretty appropriate for my (our) situation.

As I have pondered this word, it occurs to me that we are willingly sacrificing:
living in the same city as our boys and their wives and girlfriends that I love;
great paying jobs, trusting the Lord to provide new ones;
18 years of friends and ministry - remembering we'll see our friends again, if not here, then in heaven - remembering ministry belongs to the Lord - he'll put us where he wants us;

leaving my BFF;
our house - the worst possible time to sell - and we LOVE our house - trusting God for a buyer and a new home;
our way of life - as we move in with my parents until this house sells - we focus on grace and humility as we live our lives in front of my parents.
our church - I've seen more growth in my husband at CCS than anywhere else.

Why the sacrifice?

Obedience to what God has called us to do - even though we don't understand why;
remembering that we are eternal creatures and want to focus on eternal things;
my parents do not know Jesus - surely this is part of God's plan for us to be with them at this time in their lives.

I certainly don't share this to be 'prideful,' but rather to show you how God is so amazingly involved in the details of our lives. I needed to receive that word at retreat - to prepare my heart for what was coming and to remind me God is sovereign and to allow me to hold the things of this world loosely, and willingly set them aside for the sake of someone else.

We have had a great peace about all of this - much to the amazement of friends, neighbors and co-workers. The ones that don't know Jesus don't understand why we are not pulling our hair out, complaining and worrying.

With sacrifice comes blessing - the blessing of sharing why we have such peace in the midst of such a crazy (by the world's standards) decision.


A verse I am memorizing this year is so fitting: HE is the stablity.........


And He will be the stability of your times,
A wealth of salvation, wisdom and knowledge;
The fear of the LORD is his treasure.
Isaiah 33:6

2 comments:

God's Girl said...

Oh wow Carolynne... Great post! Thank you for sharing the details of what living out your word really means to you.

I really enjoyed reading about it.

I'm praying for you!

Love you,
Julie

Lisa said...

Yeah friend ... loved the post. Love your obedience ... love your willingness to sacrifice and trust and share!

It has been awhile since i last checked in with you about the journey we are sharing! So, how goes the memorization? Did you see there is going to be a special event for people who follow through next Jan? Maybe we could meet there and go together!

Love you ... Colorado is beautiful and you will only be a blog away!

Love,
Lisa