Monday, March 16, 2009

The Job

In order to make this move to CO happen, I needed a federal job transfer. Probably easier said than done, but again, steps of faith - day at a time.

I saw a job advertised the week we moved Don to CO. Hmmm... looks interesting, all stuff I did in my previous job, although that was 18 years ago.

I get home from CO on Thursday, leave for retreat Friday, get home Sunday. I check on the job ad and realize I have until 8:30 p.m. AZ time Tuesday night to apply. I work like crazy Monday and Tuesday night to get a very lengthy application completed on line. And then I wait.

And wait. I call to check on the job status mid-November and am told there were SO many applicants they convened a panel to decide who to interview. Not very encouraging news really.

Two weeks later I get a call for an interview - Praising God for that! They suggest a phone interview - I offer to fly to CO since Don and my parents are there. I fly in Tuesday afternoon, Interview Wednesday a.m., spend the day with Don and my parents and fly home arriving late Wednesday night. Its Thanksgiving the next day. And then I wait.

And wait. I call early December and am told a decision will be made by December 12th. I wait.
I call back and am told a selection has been made - the selectee will get a phone call, the non-selectees will get a letter. And then I wait.

And wait. All through the holidays, no call, but no letter either! Some of you offered me so much encouragement during these days of waiting! You have no idea how much you blessed me.

I call again January 6th and a very helpful person tells me that 87 people applied, a selection has been made, but the letters have not been sent out. Sigh. 87 people! Yikes! I thought I interviewed well, but you just never know.

I wait, BUT only two hours until I get the phone call with the job offer! Oh praise God. . . they picked me! Holy cow! I am amazed. Not sure I really remember what I said on the phone, but I do remember the woman asking me why I was willing to accept a job that paid 50% less than what I currently make. I explained why we were moving and she asked me to send a pay stub to her.

I scramble to find one and send it to her. Meanwhile, I call my mom (super excited - funny, b/c she is home alone and can't tell anyone but will call dad at the dr) . . . I find out where Don is and call him - he is yelling Praise God in a parking lot somewhere in Colorado Springs. I'm in tears - keep closing my office door - lots of happy phone calls and amazement. I email the kids :0)

I receive another call about the job - they change the offer - I had already agreed to the low end of the salary - they offer me a substantial amount more! I am speechless, I remember saying that this just doesn't happen . . . .I already agreed to the lower amount . . . you never know what happens when you pray. Ooops.... not a PC thing to say . . . the woman says its ok, you are moving for the right reason . . . confirming my suspicion that she is a sister in the Lord.

I am humbled beyond belief - on my knees in tears and thanksgiving once I get home.

Just the day before the offer I had prayed and said to the Lord that He knew the numbers, what it would take to pay for our house (which hasn't sold) when we move, with Don still not working. Not only did He provide a job, he provided beyond what we dreamt was possible. It all ends up with about a 25% cut in pay instead of over 50%.

Its truly been a journey of faith and obedience - day at a time - step at a time.

Here's the funny, or really amazing, thing. I only applied for one other job - and they turned me down - didn't qualify me. LOL

Such a God thing.

So, I have finished my security papers, polygraph and drug tests and finally have a starting date in CO of April 13th - I will be an Administrative Assistant, working for the Defense Intelligence Agency, less than 20 minutes from my parents house where we will be living.

God is so incredibly faithful and involved in every detail of our lives.

Thank you, my friends, for all of your prayers and encouragement during this part of the journey!

Love to you,
Carolynne

5 comments:

God's Girl said...

Oh wow! I am rejoicing with you Carolynne! What an amazing journey! God is so faithful!

I'm so excited and blessed to hear how the Lord is working out the details for you.

I love you my friend!

Julie

Heather said...

Carolynne - Your steadfast faith and patience amaze me. You have always amazed me. I am so thankful that God has moved in your and Don's life the way He has - praise Him for His provision!

I love you, and I miss you. I am saddened that after all of this time living so near each other, we haven't spent more time catching up - I apologize for being so poor at keeping in touch!

I hope the move goes smoothly, and I am so excited to keep up with what God is going to do in your life.

Hugs! Thank you so much for your years of guidance, friendship and love.

Heather said...

By the way - this is Heather :)

Carolynne said...

Heather! I SO happy you are here!

Thank you for your sweet, sweet words. I am going to miss you - what a blessing it has been for me to see you grow up.

love you!!

Can we all have dinner before Don and I leave?

My Blessed Life said...

My friend as I am rejoicing with you and what God has done I am so sad that you are leaving. You are an amazing woman and I feel so blessed to call you my friend. I love you and will miss you greatly. God bless you and keep in touch.